The word Darshan here is translated as perception. Darshan or perception here implies general or non-specific knowledge of things as opposed to specific knowledge which is meant by Gyan. The Bondage of Karma which obscure, the powers of general perceptions the soul fall in this category. This general perception is of four types and the Karma obscuring these four perceptions are the types of perception obscuring Karma as listed below :
Sight perception obscuring Karma (Chakshu darshanavarniya) – The general perception which is acquired with the help of eyesore sight is sight perception and Karma obscuring this power is sight perception-obscuring Karma.
- Non-sight perception obscuring Karma (Achksu Darshanvarniya) – The general perception which is acquired through the mind and senses other than eyes is non-sight Perception and Karma obscuring such powers are called non sight obscuring Karma.
- Remote Perception obscuring Karma (Avadhi Darshanavaniya) – This Karma obscure generalperception of remote physical objects without the medium of eyes or other sense and the mind (which is akin to the remote knowledge).
Perfect perception obscuring Karma (Kewal Darshanvarniya) – Just like Kewal Gyanavarniya Karma, these Karma obstruct the power of the soul to realize perfect Perception or Kewal Darshan.
In addition there are five types of Perception- obscuring Karma, whichrelate to powers of sleep over wakefulness. These are termed “Vedniya” as against “avaran” of four types discussed above. These are -
- Nidravedniya Darshanvarniya – Karma which enable such sleep from which one can wake up easily;
- Nidra Nidra Vedniya Darshnavarniya Karma – which make it difficult to wake up from sleep.
- Prachala Vedniya Darshnavarniya Karma – which result into sleep even while standing or sitting.
- Prachala Prachala Vedniya Darshnavarniya Karma - which result in sleep even while walking.
- Styanagridhi Darshanavarniya Karma – which enables execution of different actions during sleep by giving considerable power during sleep.
These are the nine varieties of Perception obscuring Karma which is compared with a guard or gatekeeper not permitting free access to the soul. The reasons for acquisition of this Karma are the same as those for knowledge obscuring karma, because as mentioned earlier Darshan is general orn on-specific type of knowledge only.
Other posts of the series
- Mohaniya Karma (May 17, 2012)
- Nirjara - (May 18, 2012)
- Gyanavarniya Karma (May 26, 2012)
- Darshanvarniya Karma (This post) (May 27, 2012)
- Vedaniya Karma (Feeling Pertaining Karma) (May 28, 2012)
- Gotra Karma (May 29, 2012)
- Ayusya Karma – Age-Determining Karma (May 30, 2012)
- Antaraya Karma (June 1, 2012)
- Nama Karma (June 2, 2012)