Vedaniya Karma (Feeling pertaining Karma) refers to the karmas which give us feeling of worldly pleasure or pain and happiness or. These are of two types i.e.
• Pleasure pertaining (Shätä Vedaniya) Karma: – The Karma related to pleasure or happiness are called Pleasure pertaining (Shätä Vedaniya) Karma
• Pain Pertaining (Ashätä Vedaniya) Karma: – The Karma related to displeasure, unhappiness or pain, are called Pain Pertaining (Ashätä Vedaniya) Karma.
This karma can be compared with a sharp knife or dagger covered with honey which is sweet to taste but can also, cut or harm the tongue.
Causes of Acquisition
Pain Pertaining (Ashätä Vedaniya) Karma is acquired by causing pain to others, harassing others, killing others, causing others to worry, and by making others miserable. Pleasure Pertaining (Shätä Vedaniya) Karma is acquired by being compassionate towards all living beings, not causing pain to anybody, making others happy, helping others, giving others protection and peace, and sharing with and comforting others.
How to get rid of Vedaniya Karma
Offering comfort, kindness, help, protection, and peace to others can shed Feeling Pertaining (Vedaniya) Karma. It may be clarified again that this Karma concerns worldly pleasure (or pain) only and not the ultimate infinite happiness and bliss of the soul which comes from complete destruction of all Karma (including this Karma) on attainment of liberation or Moksha.
Other posts of the series
- Mohaniya Karma (May 17, 2012)
- Nirjara - (May 18, 2012)
- Gyanavarniya Karma (May 26, 2012)
- Darshanvarniya Karma (May 27, 2012)
- Vedaniya Karma (Feeling Pertaining Karma) (This post) (May 28, 2012)
- Gotra Karma (May 29, 2012)
- Ayusya Karma – Age-Determining Karma (May 30, 2012)
- Antaraya Karma (June 1, 2012)
- Nama Karma (June 2, 2012)